plucked string instruments
~ String instrument
* resonating body
* a neck
* the strings run along the neck and can be stopped at different pitches
* ex: guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, banjo, balalaika, sitar, pipa
* does not have a neck
* the strings are stretched across the soundboard
* ex: autoharp, kantele, gusli, kannel, kankles, kokles, koto, guqin, gu zheng
* strings are perpendicular to the soundboard and do not run across it.
* ex: concert harp, lyre
The harpsichord is also a plucked string instrument, despite not fitting into any of these categories, because its strings are struck or plucked by the plectrum attached to the keys.
The harpsichord, taishogoto, nolin and bulbultarang are all keyed plucked string instruments.
* yoke lute family?
contains such as the lyra (but many are lutes misnamed (eg byzantine))
unsure how differs from harp now.
our Harp and Zither are a pain in the ass and should probably instead by renamed "-family"
- but we all know what will happen if I do that :|
so they'll just have to become crap generic instruments and have everything moved out of them instead.