~ String instrument
* resonating body
* a neck
* the strings run along the neck and can be stopped at different pitches
* ex: guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, banjo, balalaika, sitar, pipa
* does not have a neck
* the strings are stretched across the soundboard
* ex: autoharp, kantele, gusli, kannel, kankles, kokles, koto, guqin, gu zheng
* strings are perpendicular to the soundboard and do not run across it.
* ex: concert harp, lyre
The harpsichord is also a plucked string instrument, despite not fitting into any of these categories, because its strings are struck or plucked by the plectrum attached to the keys.