|Status: This is an official style guideline.|
Artist credits should generally follow the actual credit used on the release / track, including the join phrases.
- The Fat of the Land is credited to "Prodigy" (rather than the main artist name "The Prodigy").
- Ferrari Boyz is credited to "Gucci Mane & Waka Flocka Flame"
- Cendre is credited to "Fennesz + Sakamoto" (as on the spine). Note that we use Sakamoto in Latin script (as printed) and not just the main artist name.
See the featured artists guidelines.
If an artist name does not start with a definite article, but is credited with one, include the definite article in the artist credit. If the article can be seen as part of the join phrase ("and the", "with the", "y los") then include the article in the join phrase instead.
- In the Nutcracker Mood is credited to "The Glenn Miller Orchestra".
- The Chesterfield Broadcasts, Volume 1 is credited to "The Andrews Sisters with the Glenn Miller Orchestra".
- Les Fleurs du Mal is credited to "Gripper / The Destructors", since "/ the" isn't a logical join phrase.
Multiple artists / Splits
The artist credit for tracks and recordings containing multiple songs by different artists, and for split releases and release groups, should be "Artist 1 / Artist 2" (space, slash, space).
- Outsider / 14:31 / 110 Mistakes by "Burufunk / Global Communication / MOT" (track with 3 songs)
- Faith / Void by "Faith / Void" (split release)
Specific types of releases
Some types of releases, like classical, theatre or audiobook releases, have their own, more specific guidelines for artist credits. Check our list of types of releases with their own guidelines. Those guidelines override this one.