Summit 17 happened between September 29 and October 1, 2017, at MetaBrainz HQ in Barcelona, Spain.
Topics to discuss
- Spam, spam, sausages and spam
- Start designing ws/3, our next generation web service that will not be written in perl and will be JSON only.
- Genres (hopefully the fact we just implemented them!).
- New World Records / CRI data and classical roadmap
- Discuss survey results
- State of the SOLR search server
- Review roadmap for music recommendation engines
- Relationship type brainstorming
- Starting to tidy up the data model (https://community.metabrainz.org/t/whats-the-difference-between-an-edition-and-a-publication/173408)
- User documentation
- World Domination
Things to forget
- Not chocolate
Schedule of Events
Summit Schedule of Events this year:
- Wednesday September 27th
- Dinner at Cuines Santa Caterina at 20h ( https://goo.gl/maps/wCyukV6adbK2 ). Guests: iliekcomputers, samj1912, leo_verto, ferbncode, chhavi, freso, zas, yvanzo, reosarevok, ruaok, quesito.
- Thursday September 28th
- Misc day (was team meeting day, but Rob will be in London)
- Begin eating gelato
- Friday September 29th
- Overflow / Arrival day
- BBQ Quesito's terrace 4pm
- MusicBrainz Sound Team Reunion
- Saturday September 30th
- State of the Brainz
- Each project lead presents 'state of project'
- Agenda creation
- More gelato
- MetaBrainz dinner 20H at Copasetic
- State of the Brainz
- Sunday October 1st
- Continuation of agenda items
- Pizza night
- Monday October 2nd
- Eat more gelato
- Proposed social event: Irish Music
Summit attendees this year. Sign up for summit lodgings is now closed!
|Arrival date||Arrival transport||Departure date||Departure transport||Lodging||Food Preference|
|Freso||-||-||-||-||No (Lives in BCN)||Vegetarian (with lots of ice cream/gelato, kthxbai ❤️).|
|Alastairp||-||-||-||-||No (Lives in BCN)||No special requirements|
|Quesito||-||-||-||-||No (Lives in BCN)||Todo|
|Ruaok||-||-||-||-||No (Lives in BCN)||Yes|
|iliekcomputers||2017-09-26 14:10||LX147 - LX1954||2017-10-03 09:45||LX1953 - LX146||Yes||will eat anything other than beef|
|yvanzo||2017-09-26 10:40||Plane (VY 2975)||2017-10-03 08:30||Car (Badal)||Yes|
|samj1912||2017-09-26 12:35||KLM872 - KLM 1671||2017-10-03 06:00||VY8010||Yes||Lacto-Vegetarian|
|ferbncode||2017-09-26 15:40||SU233 - SU2514||2017-10-02 20:00||SU2513 - SU234||Yes||Vegetarian|
|Zas||2017-09-26 16:10||EZY4417||2017-10-02 16:05||EZY4418||Yes (at rob's)||Jamón ibérico y tapas|
|Leo Verto||2017-09-27 12:30||Plane (FR 129)||2017-10-03 06:25||Plane (FR 128)||Yes||Everything|
|chhavi||2017-09-27 12:35||KLM 1671||2017-10-03 06:00||VY8010||Yes||Anything|
|Reosarevok||2017-09-27 16:10||BT683||2017-10-03 17:10||BT684||Yes||Lots|
|Bitmap||2017-09-27 20:30||Plane||2017-10-03 10:10||Plane||Yes||Vegetarian|
|Leftmost "The Other" Cat||2017-09-28 08:55 (UA 8682)||Plane/Dinghy||2017-10-04 ??? (Traveling) / 2017-10-11 09:10 (LH 1809)||Plane/Pine box||Yes||Delicious|
|Mineo||2017-09-28 13:05||Plane (LH 1130)||2017-10-02 20:00||Plane (SWISS 1957)||Yes|
|LordSputnik||2017-09-28 17:25||Plane (EZY8575)||2017-10-02 18:00||Plane (EZY8580)||Yes||If it tastes good, I'll eat it|
|loujine||2017-09-29 04:50||Plane (VY8561)||2017-10-02 19:25||Plane (VY8560)||Yes|
Lodging counts per night:
|date||needed||plan to have|
|Name||Number of people||Number of rooms||Number of beds||check-in||check-out||notes|
|AirBnB "Penthouse"||6||3||6||26 September||3 October|
|AirBnB "Living Apartment"||6||3||4||28 September||2 October|
|AirBnB "Lovely in Born"||2||?||2||28 September||2 October||To be booked soon|
|Rob's guest room||1/2||1||1/2||-||-||zas 26th - 2nd, leftmost 2nd-4th, reo on couch 27th, 2nd-3rd|
Very important: Barcelona is a very safe city, save for pick-pockets. Once you leave your plane/train, make sure your wallet/passport/laptop is secured! Ideally important things will be under two zippers or better. Never walk with a wallet in your back pocket, unless it is secured! A cross-body purse or bag is also recommended.
Check out this handy google map of the locations you may need to find during the summit:
Metro and buses
In any metro station you can buy tickets which are valid on the bus system, metro, and commuter trains within the Barcelona city limits. Buy a T-10 ticket, which will give you 10 trips for about 10€. Ignore any message about not being able to use the tickets to go to the airport. Insert the ticket in a reader at a metro turnstile or when entering a bus. You can transfer from one mode of transport to another (e.g. metro to bus or between two buses) for free within 75 minutes of the first time you use your ticket. Make sure you swipe again when you enter the new transport. Even multiple people are allowed to travel on the same card -- you just need to pass the card backward so the next person can pass through the turnstile. If you travel with others on the same card, make sure to stay together in case you encounter a ticket inspector. The fee for getting caught for a ticket mishap is 100€.
More information on TMB
Barcelona does not use Uber, it's unnecessary. The taxi system here is clean and quite nice -- some of them belong to MyTaxi and you request and pay these taxi's via an app: Download the app or for more info: mytaxi
Navigation: Google maps has pretty good public transit directions. You can also use Citymapper
Arriving by train
If you arrive at Barcelona Sants, you can take the Rodalies train from platform 8 all the way to Arc de Triomf, which is where the office and AirBnBs are.
Arriving by plane
If you arrive into the BCN airport either Terminal 1 or Terminal 2, follow the signs to the buses, taxis, or metro.
- Aerobus: look for the light blue Aerobus. 5.90€ one way or 10.20€ round-trip this is the fastest and easiest way to get to into the city. The bus has free (slow) WiFi and a place to charge your phone! To make things easier, purchase and print your Aerobus tickets ahead of time. Take the aerobus to Plaça España, the first stop. From there, transfer to the Metro line L1 (red) and take it a few stops to Arc de Triomf. See above for tips on how to use the metro.
- Taxi: There is a taxi line outside both terminals. Average cost is around ~35€ for being dropped of near the Arc de Triomf.
There are other options for getting into town. Be warned: These are cheaper yet considerably slower options:
- City bus: The one way cost is 2.15€ and the route ends at Plaça España, via Bus #46. It leaves from the bus area every 15-20 minutes, between 5am-Midnight.
- Metro: The L9 leaves from both T1 and T2. Transfer to the Red Line (L1) at Torrassa, and proceed to take the L1 till Arc de Triomf.
Emergency phone numbers
- 112 ALL general emergencies
- 061 Medical Emergencies
- 080 Fire Emergencies
- 088 Police (Mossos d'Esquadra)