|Frequently Asked Questions: General FAQ | Account FAQ | Editing FAQ | Introduction to Voting|
- 1 Purpose
- 2 FAQ
- 2.1 Do I have to provide an email address?
- 2.2 Why should I provide my email address?
- 2.3 What about privacy?
- 2.4 I think I know my login name but I've forgotten my password. Can I retrieve it?
- 2.5 Why won't the web site accept my login name and password?
- 2.6 How do I delete my account?
- 2.7 Is there any Code of Conduct or rules?
This page answers Frequently Asked Questions about accounts and forgotten login information.
If that still doesn't help, please find us in one of the MusicBrainz Forums or via the contact page. If you would like to update the content of this page on the wiki, feel free to do so but please do not add questions without answers.
Do I have to provide an email address?
You do not need to provide an email address, unless you want to modify the contents of the database. From this point on, a verified email address is required to facilitate communication with other MusicBrainz editors.
Why should I provide my email address?
If you enter your email address:
- You will be able to enter changes into the database (see Introduction to Editing).
- Other editors will be able to send messages using the "Send email to editor" function.
- You will be notified when edit notes are added to your edits.
- You will have the option to subscribe to the artists you like and be notified when new edits are entered for them.
In all cases your email address will not be revealed to other MusicBrainz users.
What about privacy?
We will not send you any newsletters, promotional mailings, etc.
I think I know my login name but I've forgotten my password. Can I retrieve it?
If you've previously entered and confirmed your email address, then use the Forgot your password? link.
Otherwise, please see the answer to the next question, "Why won't the web site accept my login name and password?"
Why won't the web site accept my login name and password?
Please send us an email providing as much of the following information as accurately as possible:
- your username (or as much as you can remember of it)
- your password (or as much as you can remember of it)
- the email address you registered with
- when you registered
- when you last successfully logged in
- when you last tried and failed to log in
With that information we'll be able to look into the problem and help you.
How do I delete my account?
You can't completely delete your account. We need to keep at least the information that an account existed at some point, so that the database is kept consistent. However, you can automatically remove all your personal information by editing your profile and clicking the delete account link.
Doing so will irreversibly rename your account and clear your password, biography, email address, preferences, subscriptions, collections, ratings, and tags, as well as prevent any further logins.