Cannonball ranks in the few legendary saxophonist of the 50's-60's era.
After playing on some of the best Miles Davis albums (Kind of Blue...), he moved to his own formations, including top partners like Bobby Timmons, Sam Jones, Yusef Lateef, or his brother Nat.
Experimenting with new sounds at the dawn of the 70's, he unfortunately passed too soon.
Somethin' Else (Blue Note) is an excellent starter for almost any ears, while more exigent listeners may try directly Jazz Workshop Revisited.
Editors' notes: Bogus collabs redux
Collabs you shouldn't create / you should terminate:
* Cannonball Adderley & Milt Jackson: Things Are Getting Better is an Adderley release (featuring Jackson). Many VA comps source cuts from there and wrongly credit them to the collab.
* Cannonball Adderley & Nat Adderley Sextet: Soul Zodiac is a Nat Adderley release (with Cannonball acting as producer and guest on two tracks)
* Cannonball Adderley & Miles Davis. VA comps tend to credit this for tracks from Somethin' Else
* Cannonball Adderley & Bill Evans. Same as above, for Know What I Mean?
* Cannonball Adderley & His Orchestra. Used by some low-grade VA comps for regular Adderley releases.
Legal name: Julian Edwin Adderley
Also performs as: Buckshot LeFonque (Cannonball Adderley, Alto Saxophone)