Status: Some of the EditType pages have not been created yet, please jump in and help complete our documentation.
Most of the changes made by editors to the MusicBrainz Database are recorded as Edits, to provide a record of the changes made, and to allow other editors to vote on the changes. There are several dozen different types of changes that can be made, and each of them has their own EditType. The following table lists all the different types in a summary form, indicating differences in their behavior. The names are links to pages with detailed descriptions of their operation. Explanations of the other columns in this table can also be found at the end of the table.
Most edits go to a vote before they are permanently applied. Some edits are automatically applied without a vote; this depends on the type of edit and possibly the specific change being made or the fact that the editor making the change is an AutoEditor. When an edit goes to a vote, sometimes the change is visible immediately, but undone if the change is not approved by the voters. For most types, however, items with pending edits are highlighted, but changes are visible only after they have been applied. Whether a change is applied or undone is decided by the number of yes or no votes received, the DataQuality Edit Conditions and the algorithm that determines HowVotingWorks.
Artist Edit Types
Release Group Edit Types
|Add Release Group Edit|| Y || I |
|Edit Release Group Title Edit|| A |
|Edit Release Group Type Edit|| A |
|Move Release Group Edit|| A |
|Merge Release Groups Edit|| – |
|Remove Release Group Edit|| – |
Release Edit Types
Track Edit Types
Label Edit Types
|Add Label Edit|| Y |
|Add Label Annotation Edit|| Y |
|Edit Label Edit|| C/+ |
|Merge Labels Edit|| - |
|Remove Label Edit|| - |
|Add Label Alias Edit|| A |
|Edit Label Alias Edit|| C |
|Remove Label Alias Edit|| - |
Relationship Edit Types
|Add Relationship Edit|| AR || A || I |
|Edit Relationship Edit|| AR || A |
|Remove Relationship Edit|| AR || - |
|Edit URL Edit|| URL || A |
|Add Relationship Attribute Edit|| RA || R |
|Edit Relationship Attribute Edit|| RA || R |
|Remove Relationship Attribute Edit|| RA || R |
|Add Relationship Type Edit|| RT || R |
|Edit Relationship Type Edit|| RT || R |
|Remove Relationship Type Edit|| RT || R |
Other Edit Types
- The second column is the type of object it operates on
- The third column shows what happens upon entering the edit, sometimes depending of the privileges of the editor entering the edit. However with the introduction of DataQuality, these rules depend on the quality level of what is edited so it is useful to refer to Edit Conditions too.
- Y = Applied immediately - Never has to be voted on.
- C = Applied immediately - If case/accents are changed (or if entered by an AutoEditor).
- + = Applied immediately - If information is added (or if entered by an AutoEditor). Removal has to be voted on.
- A = Applied immediately - If entered by an AutoEditor.
- – = Never applied immediately (edits which possibly cause loss of data always have to be voted on, even if entered by an AutoEditor).
- R = Applied immediately - If entered by a RelationshipEditor. (Other editors cannot make these edits.)
- T = Applied immediately - If entered by a TransclusionEditor. (Other editors cannot make these edits.)
- The fourth column shows whether the changes of this EditType are immediately visible:
- I = Visible immediately. (Edits applied immediately are visible immediately - used only when pending edits are visible immediately).
- The fifth column shows how one edit may change multiple entities, or multiple edits may be entered on one page.
- = One edit can change several entities at once as a "Batch Operation"
- T = One edit changes several entities
- R = The page which allows to enter this EditType allows other changes to the same/related entities.