A "performance name" is an alias used by a musician (not to be confused with the MusicBrainz term, "artist alias"), for marketing or other reasons. A particular person may have several performance names, and might also release material under their legal name.
For this reason, it's sometimes necessary to create multiple separate artist entries for the same person in the database.
- SameArtistWithDifferentNames contains details about how and when to use performance names and legal names.
- Note that only individual people have legal names, not bands.
- Elvis Costello is the performance name of Declan Patrick MacManus.
- Bono is the performance name of Paul David Hewson.
- Aphex Twin, AFX and Caustic Window are all performance names of Richard David James.
|Official Documentation: Artist|