Linkin Park is an American rock band from Agoura Hills, California. Formed in 1996, the band rose to international fame with their debut album Hybrid Theory, which was certified Diamond by the RIAA in 2005 and multi-platinum in several other countries. Their following studio album Meteora continued the band's success, topping the Billboard 200 album chart in 2003, and was followed by extensive touring and charity work around the world. In 2003, MTV2 named Linkin Park the sixth-greatest band of the music video era and the third-best of the new millennium. Billboard ranked Linkin Park No. 19 on the Best Artists of the Decade chart. The band was recently voted as the greatest artist of '00s in a Bracket Madness poll on VH1. In 2014, the band was declared as the Biggest Rock Band in the World Right Now by Kerrang.
Having adapted nu metal and rap metal to a radio-friendly yet densely layered style in Hybrid Theory and Meteora, the band explored other genres in their next studio album, Minutes to Midnight (2007). The album topped the Billboard charts and had the third-best debut week of any album that year. The band continued to explore a wider variation of musical types in their fourth album, A Thousand Suns (2010), layering their music with more electronic sounds and beats. Their fifth album, Living Things (2012), combines musical elements from all of their previous records. Their sixth and most recent album, The Hunting Party (2014), returned to a heavier rock sound. The band has collaborated with several other artists, most notably with rapper Jay-Z in their mashup EP Collision Course, and many others on the remix albums Reanimation and Recharged. Linkin Park has sold over 60 million albums worldwide and has won two Grammy Awards.
- ^ Recording Industry Association of America, RIAA Record Sales. Retrieved June 13, 2007
- ^ "Soundspike: Album Chart: Linkin Park’s ‘Meteora’ shoots to the top". Wayback.archive.org. 2009-05-04. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- ^ Negri, Andrea (October 10, 2003). "22 greatest bands? Something 2 argue about". Houston Chronicle.
- ^ Billboard Artists Of The Decade, . Retrieved August 15, 2011
- ^ "BRACKET MADNESS: Linkin Park Is The Greatest Artist Of The 00s". Retrieved October 29, 2012.
- ^ Emily The 60 Biggest Rock Band in the World Right Now Kerrang October 5, 2014. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- ^ Linkin Park Are the 'Biggest Rock Band in the World Right Now' Ultimate Guitar August 28, 2014. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- ^ Sinclair, Tom (March 28, 2003). "Meteora (2003)". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 19, 2007.
- ^ a b MSN Music, Linkin Park: Biography. Retrieved June 14, 2007
- ^ MacKenzie Wilson. "allmusic ((( Linkin Park > Overview )))". Allmusic. Retrieved October 28, 2008.
- ^ "Linkin Park | Remember where you're from - Los Angeles Times". Wayback.archive.org. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- ^ Billboard.com, M2M holds the top slot for the current week. Retrieved May 28, 2007
- ^ Billboard.com, Linkin Park Scores Year's Best Debut With 'Midnight'. Retrieved May 28, 2007
- ^ "Mike Shinoda - Celebrating Achievement Through Technology". Retrieved July 12, 2013.