Melora Creager (born March 25, 1966) is an American cellist, singer-songwriter, performing artist and founder of the cello rock group Rasputina.
In 1991, Creager founded alternative cello ensemble Rasputina by writing a manifesto and placing a want-ad in the Village Voice stating "electric cellists wanted". Cellist/composer Julia Kent was the first respondent. Rasputina performed regularly at NYC venues such as CBGB's Gallery, Brownie's and Fez before being signed to Columbia Records in 1996, for whom they subsequently made two albums. With varying members, Creager has made five more albums as Rasputina, and multiple shorter releases.
Creager also played cello for Nirvana on the European leg of the In Utero world tour (including the band's final show in Munich).
Creager designed all the Rasputina album covers excepting one- Lost & Found, which was designed by artist Ryan Obermeyer and included in the 44th Annual Society of Illustrators Exhibition in New York, 2002. From 1988- 1996, Creager was employed as a jewelry designer for Erickson Beamon, creating costume jewelry for Anna Sui, Donna Karan, Barney's New York, and Vogue magazine. She continues her relationship with Anna Sui, occasionally designing fashion show invitations and t-shirts.
Through more than seven albums and frequent touring, Creager through Rasputina has been an originator of and influence on such movements as Freak folk and Steampunk.
Creager makes unique use of historical events and figures in her lyrics and themes. Inspirations include the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire of 1911, Howard Hughes, Rose Kennedy, victims of Josef Mengele, Emily Dickinson, Pitcairn Island, Columbia County, NY. Combining history and humor in song-form and spoken-word pieces, Creager is also unique in exploring women's history through pop music.
- Transylvanian Concubine/The Vaulted Eel, Lesson #6 - Oculus Records, 1993
- Three (3) (promo) - 1994
- Thanks for the Ether - Columbia Records, 1996
- Three Lil' Nothin's (promo) - 1996
- Transylvanian Regurgitations (EP) - Columbia Records, 1997
- How We Quit the Forest - Columbia Records, 1998
- The Olde HeadBoard (EP) - Columbia Records, 1998
- The Lost & Found (self-released limited edition EP) - 2001
- Cabin Fever! - Instinct Records, 2002
- My Fever Broke (EP) - Instinct Records, 2002
- The Lost & Found (second edition EP) - Instinct Records, 2003
- Frustration Plantation - Instinct Records, 2004
- A Radical Recital (live) - Filthy Bonnet Recording Co., 2005
- Perplexions (solo recording) - Filthy Bonnet Recording Co., 2006
- Oh Perilous World! (Vinyl LP, CD & Limited edition CD) - Filthy Bonnet Recording Co., June 26, 2007
- Repo! The Genetic Opera (As part of orchestra), 2008
- Melora a la Basilica (Limited Edition Live EP), 2008
- The Willow Tree Triptych (Limited Edition EP), 2009
- Ancient Cross-Dressing Songs - A Special Recording For Brooklyn (Limited Edition EP), 2009
- Sister Kinderhook - Filthy Bonnet Recording Co., 2010
- Great American Gingerbread - Filthy Bonnet Recording Co., 2011