Skunk Anansie disbanded in 2001 but reformed again in 2009.
Skunk Anansie are a British band whose members include Skin (lead vocals), Cass (guitar, bass, backing vocals), Ace (guitar, backing vocals) and Mark Richardson (drums and percussion).
Skunk Anansie formed in March 1994, disbanded in 2001 and reformed in 2009. The name "Skunk Anansie" is taken from Akann folk tales of Anansi the spider-man of Ghana, with "Skunk" added to "make the name nastier".
They have released five studio albums: Paranoid and Sunburnt (1995), Stoosh (1996), Post Orgasmic Chill (1999), Wonderlustre (2010), Black Traffic (2012), one compilation album Smashes and Trashes (2009) and several hit singles, including "Charity", "Hedonism", "Selling Jesus" and "Weak".
They are often grouped as part of a Britrock movement, running alongside Britpop. The band, in 2004, was named as one of the most successful UK chart acts between 1952 and 2003 by the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles & Albums, with a total of 141 weeks on both the singles and album charts ranking them at No. 491. When the book first published this annual top 500 list in 2000, it only involved weeks spent on the singles chart until 2004's 17th edition, meaning the band's highest ranking has not been notified in any of the past editions.
- ^ allmusic.com - Skunk Anansie
- ^ "Interview with Skin and Ace of Skunk Anansie September 1999". NY Rock. Retrieved 22 November 2005.
- ^ Wilson, Dave. Rock Formations: Categorical Answers To How Band Names Were Formed. pp. 230–1. ISBN 0-9748483-5-2.
- ^ "Biography: Skunk Anansie". Allmusic. Retrieved 22 November 2005.
- ^ Roberts, David (ed.) (2004). Guinness Book of British Hit Singles and Albums (17th ed.). London, UK: HiT Entertainment. ISBN 0-85112-199-3.