originally known as Filmový symfonický orchestr (FISYO, or Film Symphony Orchestra) which was formed in 1943; it then performed under the name Český symfonický orchestr (Czech Symphony Orchestra) beginning in 1991, before problems with the unauthorized use of the name by other Czech ensembles led to the change in 1992 to its present name (given by music producer James Fitzpatrick).
The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra (Czech: Filharmonici města Prahy) is a classical orchestra, predominantly composed of Czech and Slovak classical, jazz and guest musicians.
The history of the orchestra goes back to the Film Symphony Orchestra (FISYO), which was founded shortly after World War II, in 1947 as the in-house orchestra for the huge Barrandov Film Studios. After separating and fully privatized it initially performed under the name Czech Symphony Orchestra, but had problems with unauthorized use of the name by other Czech ensembles for themselves. Finally in 1992, after the Velvet Revolution, music producer James Fitzpatrick came up with its current name.