Justin Rutledge (born January 3, 1979) is a Toronto-based alt-country singer-songwriter signed to Outside Music.
Rutledge's musical style is often compared to that of American alt-country singer Ryan Adams. His influences, both of the literary and music world, include Leonard Cohen, Hank Williams, Richard Brautigan and E. E. Cummings.
In 2006, Justin Rutledge was named Toronto singer-songwriter of the year by NOW magazine.
Rutledge has toured Canada, the UK, the United States and Europe, and has played shows with Kathleen Edwards, Jim Cuddy, Blue Rodeo, Hawksley Workman, Luke Doucet and Dolly Parton.
His critically acclaimed lyrics are sometimes linked by music writers to his time as a university English major; he was editor-in-chief of a University of Toronto literary journal.
- ^ Liss, Sarah (2006-10-05). "The Devil on a Bench in Stanley Park". NOW magazine. Retrieved 2007-06-16.
- ^ Hunter, Justin (2006-11-09). "A pact with the devil". Ottawa XPress. Retrieved 2007-06-16.
- ^ Payne, Steve (2006-10-26). "Best of Toronto: music". NOW magazine. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ^ "Justin Rutledge singing softly". Toronto Sun, October 5, 2006.
- ^ "Justin Rutledge". PRI's The World. 2007-07-19. Retrieved 2008-10-16.