Lata Mangeshkar pronunciation (Marathi: लता मंगेशकर) (born 28 September 1929) is an Indian singer, and occasional music-composer. She is one of the best-known and most respected playback singers in India. Mangeshkar's career started in 1942 and has spanned over seven decades. She has recorded songs for over a thousand Hindi films and has sung songs in over thirty-six regional Indian languages and foreign languages, though primarily in Marathi and Hindi. She is the elder sister of singers Asha Bhosle, Hridaynath Mangeshkar, Usha Mangeshkar and Meena Mangeshkar. She is the second vocalist to have ever been awarded the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian honour.
Mangeshkar was featured in the Guinness Book of World Records from 1974 to 1991 for having made the most recordings in the world. The claim was that she had recorded approximately 25,000 solo, duet, and chorus-backed songs in 20 Indian languages between 1948 to 1974. The category was removed in 1991 and re-introduced in 2011. In 2011 Guinness officially acknowledged Mangeshkar's sister Asha Bhosle as the most recorded artiste in music history.
- ^ "Lata Mangeshkar". The Times of India. 10 December 2002. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- ^ Yasmeen, Afshan (21 September 2004). "Music show to celebrate birthday of melody queen". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- ^ Lata Mangeshkar given Bharat Ratna The Hindu
- ^ Nerurkar, Vishwas. Swarasha (1948-1994) (in Hindi). Mumbai: Vasanti P. Nerukar.
- ^ Banerjee, Soumyadipta (22 October 2011). "It’s a world record for Asha Bhosle". DNA India. Retrieved 2011-10-23.