Also performs as: Echoboy
Richard Daniel Warren (born 3 June 1973) is a British musician, songwriter and producer.
He signed his first record deal with Heavenly Records at the height of Britpop in 1996, as one third of The Hybirds.
In 1999 when the band split, he branched out on his own and away from guitar-led pop, signing to Mute Records as Echoboy after Daniel Miller heard his releases on Earworm Records following his self-released 12" Flashlegs (Suite). He went on to release several self-produced solo albums on Mute as well as Giraffe, which was produced by Flood, and having put together a band he toured extensively with, amongst others, Elastica, Add N to (X) and Broadcast .
Both Echoboy and The Hybirds performed several sessions for John Peel's radio show.
He is also known for producing and remixing other artists (see below).
In 2003 he was asked by Jason Pierce to play bass guitar in Spiritualized, with whom he toured throughout 2003-05. He also played bass on and co-engineered the band's 2008 album Songs in A&E.
In 2005/06 he released a set of five limited edition 7" singles under the pseudonym Modlang.
During 2005-09 he played guitar with both Starsailor and Soulsavers with Mark Lanegan, playing guitar on the 2009 Starsailor album All the Plans and on the Soulsavers albums It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land and Broken. He also co-wrote two of the songs on Broken.
In 2008 he formed The Cold Light of Day, releasing the limited edition EP Flesh and Blood in April 2009.
In October 2009 he left The Cold Light of Day to pursue other projects and released a solo album Laments in July 2010, which made it into the NME's '50 best albums of the year so far' list.
His next album, The Wayfarer , was released on 17 October 2011. An alternative 'stripped down' mix of the album was issued as a cover-mount on the autumn double edition (no.78/79) of Bucketfull of Brains and nine short films containing these 'stripped down' mixes were made to accompany the album.
Jarvis Cocker said on his BBC Radio 6 Music radio show (1 Jan 2012), that The Wayfarer was 'one of my fave albums that came out last year'.
His third solo album Rich Black Earth was released on 4 November 2013.
During 2014 he has been working on a project called Kings of the South Seas with Ben Nicholls (Dennis Hopper Choppers, The Full English (folk music archive)) and Evan Jenkins (Neil Cowley Trio). The album Kings of the South Seas which was released on 17 Nov 2014.
He also played guitar with Samantha Crain on some of her UK shows during the summer of 2014.
Currently in the studio writing and recording his next solo album.
- ^ a b "Short biography". Echoboy. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- ^ *Niven, John (2008). Kill Your Friends. William Heinemann Ltd. ISBN 0-434-01799-X.
- ^ *Garner, Ken (2007). The Peel Sessions. BBC Books. ISBN 1-84607-282-4.
- ^ "BBC website Peel Sessions". Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- ^ "NME 50 best albums of the year so far". Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- ^ "DMC Update Zzub chart Laments". Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- ^ "The Independent The Wayfarer review". London. 14 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- ^ "The Wayfarer review MiddleBoopMag". Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- ^ "DMC Update Zzub chart The Wayfarer". Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- ^ "The Wayfarer review Subba Cultcha". Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- ^ "Bucketfull of Brains website". Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- ^ "Bucketfull of Brains blog". Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- ^ "BBC 6 Music website". Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- ^ "The Rainy Day". Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- ^ "withguitars.com". Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- ^ "Kings Of the South Seas YouTube". Retrieved 2014-09-28.