Melanie C (former Spice Girl)
Legal name: Melanie Jayne Chisholm
Melanie Jayne Chisholm (born 12 January 1974) is a British singer-songwriter, actress and businesswoman professionally known as Melanie C or Mel C. She is one of the five members of the Spice Girls, in which she was nicknamed "Sporty Spice". With the Spice Girls, Chisholm toured the world and sold over 100 million records worldwide.
As a solo artist, Chisholm has sold more than 12 million records. Her first solo attempt was collaborating with Bryan Adams on a smash hit "When You're Gone". She then released her debut solo studio album, Northern Star in 1999, which sold four million copies. Chisholm has released another five albums and has been nominated for BRIT and ECHO awards. She currently is the female artist with the second most number-one singles in the United Kingdom and also the only female to reach the number one spot as part of a quartet, a quintet, a duo and solo. In 2012, Chisholm earned her 12th UK number 1 as part of The Justice Collective with the Christmas number 1 single "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother".
Chisholm has also received critical acclaim for her starring roles in the West End production of Blood Brothers and the British arena tour of Jesus Christ Superstar.
- ^ "Simon Fuller and Judy Craymer plan Spice Girls musical". BBC News online (London). 21 January 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- ^ "A Jolly Good Sport" 13 February 2012, Hot Press
- ^ "List of music awards nominations for Melanie Chisholm". IMDb. 17 December 2007.
- ^ "Artist Details" Peer Music
- ^ Bio at Glasgowvant
- ^ "Mel C transforms from Sporty Spice to dowdy West End stage Mama for Blood Brothers role" 22 October 2009, Daily Mail