Born: 17th October 1972. Birth place: Kansas City, Missouri, USA.
Spouse: Kimberly Ann Scott (Married 14th June 1999, divorced 11th October 2001. Remarried 14th January 2006)
Daughters: Hailie Jade (with Kimberly), Alaina (niece of Kimberly from twin sister Dawn, adopted)
Also performs as: Eminem
Marshall Bruce Mathers III (born October 17, 1972), better known by his stage name Eminem, is an American rapper, record producer, songwriter and actor, from Detroit, Michigan. In addition to his solo career, he is a member of D12 and (with Royce da 5'9") half of the hip-hop duo Bad Meets Evil. Eminem is the best-selling artist of the 2000s in the United States; Rolling Stone ranked him 83rd on its list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, calling him the King of Hip Hop. Including his work with D12 and Bad Meets Evil, Eminem has had ten number-one albums on the Billboard 200. He has sold more than 155 million albums and singles, making him one of the world's best-selling artists. As of June 2014, Eminem is the second-bestselling male artist of the Nielsen SoundScan era, the sixth-bestselling artist in the United States and the bestselling hip-hop artist, with sales of 45,160,000 albums and 31 million digital singles.
After his debut album Infinite (1996), Eminem achieved mainstream popularity in 1999 with The Slim Shady LP; the commercially successful second album received his first Grammy Award for Best Rap Album. His next two releases (2000's The Marshall Mathers LP and 2002's The Eminem Show) were worldwide successes, with each certified diamond in US sales. Both won Best Rap Album Grammy Awards, making Eminem the first artist to win the award for three consecutive LPs. They were followed by Encore in 2004, another critical and commercial success. Eminem went on hiatus after touring in 2005, releasing Relapse in 2009 and Recovery in 2010; both won Grammy Awards. Recovery was the bestselling album of 2010 worldwide, and the rapper's second international bestselling album of the year (his first was The Eminem Show). Eminem's eighth album (2013's The Marshall Mathers LP 2) won two Grammy Awards, including Best Rap Album; it expanded his record for the most wins in that category and his Grammy total to 15.
Eminem has developed other ventures, including Shady Records with manager Paul Rosenberg. He has his own channel, Shade 45, on Sirius XM Radio. In November 2002, Eminem starred in the hip hop film 8 Mile. He won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Lose Yourself", the first rap artist to win the award. Eminem has made cameo appearances in the films The Wash (2001), Funny People (2009), The Interview (2014) and the television series Entourage.
- ^ Ankeny, Jason; Torreano, Bradley (2006). "Eminem – Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved January 30, 2008.
- ^ "Eminem Is The Best-Selling Artist Of The Decade". MTV. December 8, 2009. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- ^ "The Immortals: Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on October 16, 2008. Retrieved October 20, 2008.
- ^ Chris Molanphy (August 15, 2011). "Introducing the King of Hip-Hop". Rolling Stone. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- ^ Jesaro, May (September 11, 2014). "Eminem's 'Rap God' Breaks Guinness World Record; Has 'Most Words in a Hit Record' With Roughly 4 Words Per Second". The Standard. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- ^ Grein, Paul (June 11, 2014). "Chart Watch: 50 Cent’s Sales Slide". Yahoo!.
- ^ "Eminem becomes first double Diamond Digital winner". June 11, 2014.
- ^ Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 137. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.