Legal name: Nelly Kim Furtado
Also performs as: Nelstar*
Nelly Kim Furtado ComIH (born December 2, 1978) is a Canadian singer and songwriter. She has sold 20 million albums worldwide and more than 20 million singles, bringing her total sales to over 40 million records around the world. Furtado first gained fame with her debut album, Whoa, Nelly!, which spawned two successful singles, "I'm Like a Bird" and "Turn Off the Light". "I'm Like A Bird" won a 2001 Juno Award for Single of the Year and a 2002 Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. In 2003, Furtado released Folklore, which produced three international singles— "Powerless (Say What You Want)", "Try" and "Força".
Three years later she released Loose, a worldwide commercial success with 10 million copies sold. The album spawned four number-one hits: "Promiscuous", "Maneater", "Say It Right" and "All Good Things (Come to an End)". After a three-year break, she released her first full-length Spanish album, Mi Plan, and Furtado received a Latin Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Album. In 2012, Furtado's fourth English-language studio album, The Spirit Indestructible, was released.
Furtado's work has earned her numerous awards and accolades, including two Grammy Awards, 10 Juno Awards, three MuchMusic Video Awards and a star on Canada's Walk of Fame. Furtado was awarded "Commander of the Order of Prince Henry" on February 28, 2014, in Toronto by Aníbal Cavaco Silva, the President of Portugal.
- ^ World Record, Nelly Furtado Builds on her global strength with her first spanish-language album. Billboard magazine. 2009-01-08. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- ^ ""The Spirit Indestructible (Deluxe Version)" von Nelly Furtado" (in German). iTunes. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- ^ "The Spirit Indestructible (Deluxe Version) by Nelly Furtado". iTunes. December 2, 1978. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- ^ http://www.abola.pt/mundos/ver.aspx?id=463071
- ^ http://www.ionline.pt/artigos/portugal/cavaco-condecora-personalidade-portuguesas-luso-canadiana-entre-quais-cantora-nelly
- ^ http://www.correiodosacores.info/index.php/destaques/5338-cavaco-silva-condecora-nelly-furtado-com-a-comenda-da-ordem-do-infante-d-henrique