Carly Rae Jepsen (born November 21, 1985) is a Canadian singer and songwriter from Mission, British Columbia, and later based in Vancouver. In 2007, she placed third in Canadian Idol season five's competition. Jepsen independently released her debut album, Tug of War, in 2008. In 2011, she released the single "Call Me Maybe", which was followed in 2012 by her debut EP, Curiosity, and her second album, Kiss. "Call Me Maybe" reached number one in 18 countries during 2012 and was the year's best-selling single worldwide. Jepsen's third album, Emotion, was released in 2015 to general acclaim and was heavily influenced by songs from the 1980s. Its lead single "I Really Like You" reached the top five in the United Kingdom, the top ten in Japan and the top fifteen in Jepsen's native Canada.
Jepsen has received multiple awards and nominations, including three Juno Awards, a Billboard Music Award, and an Allan Slaight Award. As of May 2015, Jepsen has sold 20 million records worldwide.
- ^ "Carly Rae Jepsen Biography". Biography.com. A&E Television Networks, LLC. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- ^ Monger, James Christopher. "Carly Rae Jepsen Biography". AllMusic.com. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- ^ "Carly Rae Jepsen". CBC Music. Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- ^ "Carly Rae Jepsen Named Billboard's 'Rising Star' of 2012". billboard.com. October 25, 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- ^ "2013 Allan Slaight Award Recipient Carly Rae Jepsen". canadaswalkoffame.com. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- ^ "MTVA EMA Carly Rae Jepsen". MTV.com. Retrieved September 15, 2015.
- ^ "Carly Rae Jepsen's career start was 'a beautiful fire'". utv.ie. Retrieved September 15, 2015.