Thomas Jeffrey "Tom" Hanks (born July 9, 1956) is an American actor and filmmaker. He is known for his roles in Big (1988), Philadelphia (1993), Forrest Gump (1994), Apollo 13 (1995), Saving Private Ryan, You've Got Mail (both 1998), Cast Away (2000), The Da Vinci Code (2006), Captain Phillips, and Saving Mr. Banks (both 2013), as well as for his voice work in the animated films The Polar Express (2004) and the Toy Story series.
Hanks has been nominated for numerous awards during his career. He won a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in Philadelphia, as well as a Golden Globe, an Academy Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a People's Choice Award for Best Actor for his role in Forrest Gump. In 2004, he received the Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
Hanks is also known for his collaboration with film director Steven Spielberg on Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can (2002), and The Terminal (2004), as well as the 2001 miniseries Band of Brothers, which launched Hanks as a successful director, producer, and writer. In 2010, Spielberg and Hanks were executive producers on the HBO miniseries The Pacific (a companion piece to Band of Brothers).
As of 2014, Hanks' films have grossed over $4.2 billion at the U.S. and Canada box offices, and over $8.4 billion worldwide, making him one of the highest-grossing actors in film history.
- ^ "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly (1215) (Time Inc.). July 13, 2012. p. 20.
- ^ Kim, Susanna (22 May 2014). "The Richest Actors in the World Are Not Who You Expect". ABC Good Morning America. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- ^ "Tom Hanks Biography (1956-)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- ^ "Hanks' big splash in Hollywood". BBC News. November 5, 2004. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- ^ "Tom Hanks Movie Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- ^ "The 10 most valuable actors of all time". Dailyfinance.com. February 21, 2013. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
This artist only has release groups by various artists. Showing official release groups for various artists. Show all various artists release groups instead.